Sunday, May 11, 2014

To the Moms who need a little strength tonight—you are thought of and loved

Mother's Day is one of my favourite days of the year. I love the hand made gifts created by my kids; the gifts are scattered throughout my home hanging on my walls and placed on my desk, grounding me in memories and love. These treasures nourish my soul when it feels a little depleted.  I am blessed and tomorrow I get to celebrate how fortunate I am to be a mother to four amazing young people. What a joy and privilege it is to be a part of their journey on this earth. 

I love mother's day because I get to celebrate my mother and there is much to celebrate and be thankful for. I celebrate her for her strength and for her constant striving. It is only now, as a Mom myself that I appreciate the strength that she found after losing our Dad and having three little ones to raise, on her own. I think about you Mom as I tuck my six year old in tonight and I snuggle next to him and appreciate that his little world is pretty perfect right now. I was only six when Dad died and my world changed forever. So much of what is shared between two parents was forever placed in your two hands and you have carried the weight so well Mom; I can only imagine how heavy the load was at times. I now understand the sadness and fear that you must have felt and yet you got up every morning and made it through each day with us. Thank you. 

Tonight I think about the Mom's who are tucking a blanket snuggly around a wee one and as they wrap their arms around them they wonder if there will be enough food on the table tomorrow morning or if they will have enough money to pay for the school field trip that everyone is going on. I think of the Mom whose child is ill—the pain and the fear that must run through your veins when your baby is sick and you cannot heal them, it makes my heart ache. I wonder how you do it? Your little ones feel such love and strength even if you feel as though you cannot do it anymore. 

Tonight as I lay with my son I think of these Mom's and hope that you all know that you are appreciated. Your children will be strong and resilient because you strive and learn from each failure and each set back. Your children will appreciate what it means to work hard and care for others because they see you work two jobs and they know what it means to save and to appreciate every dollar earned. Your children will give back to their community because they see you volunteer and they know that you are loved by others for your heart work and not for the money that others flash around. You are loved and you are helping to nurture and build a stronger, more compassionate society. 

Thank you to the Moms who try to lighten the load for another Mom who may be struggling. Thank you for choosing not to judge but to love and offer an ear and compassion. YOU do make a difference and you are loved. 

Happy Mother's Day~ 

Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts." ~~Charles Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment